Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tackled by Paint

My last post gave you a glimpse at our Vibrant Casa the day the keys were handed to us 2 years ago and it was officially ours (and the banks).  Now it’s time to see where a little lot of painting got us.  All the paint is Behr, from Hubs' favorite store ever, Home Depot, besides West Marine.

I feel like I must write a disclaimer here... I apologize for the move-in mess (at least I am pretty sure we were still organizing here).  I obviously didn't clean up for these pictures.

Living Room – Antique White


Living Room and Dining Room - Antique White
(see the Dining Room in the back there...)


Kitchen – Spicy Cayenne

Master Bedroom – originally Gray (can’t remember….oops)






Master Bedroom – now Hawthorne Yellow (Benjamin Moore) color matched at Home Depot

Guest Bedroom/Office/Dog Room/Storage – originally Gray (can’t remember…oops)


Guest Bedroom/Office/Dog Room/Storage – now Hawthorne Yellow (Benjamin Moore)
color matched at Home Depot



Notice the new hardwood floors.  More on that in a future blog post.

Bathroom – Spicy Cayenne
Started with a light green that we didn’t like, so we used the rest of the Spicy Cayenne… for now.  I have had major plans for the bathroom too since day 1 .. if only money grew on trees.

How we selected our color scheme … a shot in the dark, kind of.  We knew we wanted a more “low key” color in the Living and Dining Room, so Antique White seemed just right.  Although the kitchen was tiny, I really wanted a cozy feeling to compliment the cabinets (that we knew would always stay).  Plus, I wanted to experiment with colors and step outside my comfort zone… Spicy Cayenne was that color and I am still in love with it!  The bedrooms are still a “disaster” as I like to say.  I wanted a calming feeling in the rooms so I originally went with a gray .. lets just say gray and I didn’t work out for these room.  We found out that our master bedroom pretty much never gets natural sunlight unless it is between 4 pm and 5 pm during the summer and the gray I picked out was just too gloomy.  Our non-existent natural sunlight was one reason why we went with lighter hard wood floors – to lighten the space up.  At the same time we installed new hardwood floors one year in, I started looking at yellow paint and found “the perfect” yellow while browsing a Pottery Barn magazine.  I loved it at first but have realized that this yellow is just too “bright” for me to go to sleep to or wake up to.  It would be great for some type of living space, but I feel like it is yelling at me as I try to unwind for the day .. not good.  So, today, recent inspiration has come to transform these rooms into a more calming space using light gray/blue/green color.  More on transforming these spaces soon, so keep posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment