Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fabric Funday

The Fabric Fairy, okay UPS, arrived at my house last Thursday.  I dove right into the box like a kid at Christmas and immediately started playing around with the fabric by wrapping every pillow I could find with each fabric, and then imagining that they were the perfect 'envelope pillows'. 




My anxiousness to try my hand at sewing was realized quickly.  I whipped out Bernina bright and early Saturday morning and started sewing 7 envelope pillows.  I used a pattern/instructions from Our Little Beehive.  Lets just say that the first 30 minutes were interesting.  I was pretty sure I remembered everything my dad showed me, but my stitches weren't holding.  I made a plea to Hubs to 'fix it please'.  He sat down for 30 seconds, tested it out, and his stitches were perfect.  At that point I was baffled.  Hubs gave it another thought and said 'did you put the foot down'.  It was like a light bulb ... 'uh silly me' haha.  After that minor stumble I was off like a jet plane and whipped up spent several hours making 7 envelope pillows.  I am pretty pleased with the results and kept saying to Hubs 'look what I made, I am pretty pleased with myself'.  In the meantime, Hubs took on another exciting project in the Bathroom which has lead to a multitude of exciting 'events' this past weekend. More on that this week.
Pillows (and a messy couch) before

Pillows After!



On Saturday evening I was staring at the ottoman and realized that I desperately wanted to refinish the thing, you know, to make my pillows look even better.  I had a bunch of scraps left over from my pillow making and thought it would be perfect if I could whip up a cover for the thing.  I tore off the flaps on the ottoman, but left the original cover on for fear of unintentionally destroying it.  With two of my largest scraps I sewed togeter a circular top with a seam in the middle and then picked up about 4 or 5 scraps laying around on the floor, pinned them to my circular top, and made my very best effort to sew these things in a circle.  Lo and behold, it fit!  So Sunday, while Hubs pleaded we make our coffee run, I stapled my cover on my ottoman, stood back and smiled, and then headed for coffee. 
Ottoman Before

Ottoman Before (this used to be Grouper's 'spot')
Ottoman After (Grouper admiring, I hope)




On to curtains next!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm so glad you found the tutorial helpful (and easy). I love the ottoman cover and the pup, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The pup is our best Supervisor during all these projects. He likes to stay totally involved.

    ReplyDelete